We dip into the fantasy genre with this edition of Border Patrol!
- Conan the Barbarian by Insidious Customs: Some sculpted hair and weapons details plus a smooth paint job converts a Masters of the Universe Classics He-Man into Conan. With a week still left to go, the auction has already topped $300. Ends Wednesday, August 5, at 12:43PM PT.
- Marvel Legends Rogue (Savage Lands) by Ole Jade Jaw: Nothing like a torn-up costume to turn skin-fearing Rogue into a Savage Land jungle babe. Rogue started off her comic book career as an ugly mutant, but Jim Lee turned that around right quick. Ends Sunday, August 2, at 8:39PM PT.
- Masters of the Universe Classics Bone Throne and Scrying Table: This previously-owned custom was the ultimate playset for Skeletor, until Mattel revealed their Snake Mountain, of course. Mattel also showed off a Bone Throne, but at this point it’s not certain if it will be made as part of Snake Mountain or as a separate accessory. In any case, this might be you best shot at Skeletor’s scrying table. Ends Saturday, August 1, at 1:30PM PT.
In AFP’s Border Patrol, we scour active eBay auctions for customized action figures that you won’t want to let slip by!
CustomCon 39 is coming! Entry deadline is August 1.
The folks at Mattycollector and the Four Horsemen have provided some post-SDCC updates. Mattel provided the words, and the 4H have posted a bunch of pics – we’ve combined them here.
For the tl;dr version, the three subs (Collector’s Choice, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe aka Filmation, and Thundercats Classics) will be offered at different times (now, October, and early 2016, respectively). Matty will work with Digital River on how to combine subs. Snake Mountain will be 10 – 20% smaller. And getting Power Con exclusives into non-attendees’ hands is He-Man.org’s problem.
» There’s more… click to continue reading Mattel and the Four Horsemen Provide Post-SDCC Mattycollector Updates
One of my favorite stops at San Diego Comic-Con is the with the Four Horsemen, the folks behind the scenes on some of our favorite toy lines like Mattel’s Masters of the Universe Classics and now Thundercats. I spoke with Eric Treadaway about their own line of toys, Mythic Legions, which launched on Kickstarter as the most-funded action figure project of all time, surpassing the previous reigning champs, Boss Fight Studios’ Vitruvian H.A.C.K.S. and their previous Kickstarter for the Gothitropolis Ravens.
We also got to touch on their continuing work with Mattel, on the DC Comics Multiverse and Batman v Superman 6-inch lines. And of course, Thundercats!
» There’s more… click to continue reading SDCC 2015: Four Horsemen Mythic Legions (with AFP Video Fly-By)
Remember when I said I thought Mattel would shut down Mattycollector after 2015? When I saw Mattypalooza on the schedule for Comic-Con, I started prepping for this: I was wrong. 😀 I’ll write about my conversation with the new team soon, but in the interest of time, here’s what’s coming:
- Collector’s Choice – a six figure Masters of the Universe Classics subscription with Lord Masque, Vultak, Darius, Crita, General Sunder, and a Horde Wraith. Despara is the sub exclusive.
- Power-Con will have three redeco exclusives – Granamyr in green, Beast Man in red, and Khan in camo
- He-Man and the Masters of the Universe – a new A-list sub in Filmation style with Classics articulation – He-Man, Trap Jaw, Skeletor, Beast Man, Evil-Lyn, and Clawful. Evil Seed is the sub exclusive.
- Snake Mountain – ’nuff said
- Thundercats – a new subscription starting July 2016, with Lion-o and Jackalman revealed. A withered Mumm-Ra will be the sub exclusive.
» There’s more… click to continue reading SDCC 2015: Mattel Masters of the Universe Classics and Thundercats for 2016 [Updated with Mattypalooza Panel Video]
AKA nothing to substantiate the Thundercats rumor other than I’ve heard it too
On Preview Night, Mattel left no questions as to what was coming for the rest of the year with Masters of the Universe Classics. They filled in all the blanks through December. But despite them saying that 2015 was the end of an era for Four Horsemen MOTUC, it seems like all marketing communications from the Mattycollector team is that they’ll continue making toys next year. The question is, what?
As I noted my approach to the Convention Center on my Instagram feed, I was asked to seek out Mattel and find the Thundercats / Four Horsemen figures everyone’s been talking about. While there’s a pretty active rumor about that, there was no evidence of it in the Mattel booth. Of course, they’d save that up for their Mattypalooza panel on Friday. By then, we’ll know what is coming from Matty in 2016.
» There’s more… click to continue reading SDCC 2015: Mattel Masters of the Universe Classics – Preview Night