About a week and a half ago, gunbuster718 shared some pics he took of his set of Marvel Legends Fan’s Choice Winner 2-packs – Black Widow / Winter Soldier, Deadpool / Warpath, and Valkyrie / Hulk. I was lucky enough to get 4 out of the 5 sets from that initial batch that showed up at Times Square Toys R Us – thanks GrownNerd! Here’s some quick shots that I took while still in NYC for New York Comic Con.
First the rest of the packaged shots:
I’ll confess, when Legends moved away from single-carded figures, I stopped paying a lot of attention to the packaging. What we’ve got here is pretty much on par with what we got in the earlier waves of 2-packs. I do like how they’ve managed to tie the background blurbs for each pairing together, but I can’t really remember much significant interaction between Deadpool and Warpath in the comics.
Here’s the loose pics I snapped:
I didn’t have a lot of time with the figures – we ended up shipping our loot back and I’m still waiting for the boxes to show up – but here’s some quick thoughts on each:
- Black Widow – turned out really well. I definitely prefer the short-haired head sculpt. To me, the long-haired version looks a little too sleepy-eyed.
- Winter Soldier – this is the standout figure in a batch of good figures all around. The reuse is barely noticeable, and the new pieces are extremely well done. Gotta love that they gave the variants the comic-accurate stars on the arm.
- Deadpool – not having the red and black version is torturing me. I really like the new parts that were added to transform Union Jack into Deadpool. The head sculpt looks dropped right out of the Cable & Deadpool comic. The variant color scheme showed up in that comic for two issues when Deadpool teamed up with the X-Men to take down Cable. I think they went a bit too blue, and the harness looks a bit too plastic-like.
- Warpath – decent effort. The new torso gives him some bulk and people who were concerned that he’d have Hulkling’s padded vest can be relieved. I think they should have matched the texturing on the torso with that on the pants. Head sculpt looks like it got a bit pinched in the production process.
- Valkyrie – looks better in hand. The pinched head is the main culprit for how the eyes look – but I think you’ll see some variation on the degree that she’s crosseyed based on the paint job. Maybe it’s wishful thinking but I thought my Valkyrie fared a little better in that regard. When viewed with Black Widow, you can see the progress Hasbro’s made – Valkyrie was originally slated to be part of the Fin Fang Foom wave a long time back.
- Hulk – massive and two-fisted, there’s a lot t0 like. I’m a fan of McGuinness on the page, but not in 3D, so I may try some head swaps to see if I can find something more to my liking.
Alright, Sandman’s been lucky enough to find a Black Widow / Winter Soldier set at one of his local TRUs, so hopefully we’ll have some more pics soon. In the meantime, I’ll be anxiously awaiting my loot from NYCC, and searching for a red and black Deadpool set. Happy hunting!