Here’s our first Ask Matty since Mattel’s showing at Toy Fair. Let us know if you’ve got other questions you want answered. Read the full article and leave a reply below.
Thanks to the Mattel team for this round of questions and answers.
1) You really had us fooled when you told us that folks had lost interest in the Crime Syndicate – they all look great! What was the thinking behind mixing up modern and classic costumes, and what should folks expect for how long they might need to wait to complete either team?
The upcoming Wal-Mart Crime Syndicate five-pack was designed by the Horsemen to create the most definitive version of each character. We may indeed revisit the Syndicate in time (as there were many looks for the members) but nothing to confirm right now.
2) With Toyman, fans of the SuperFriends will be able to complete their Legion of Doom collections. All of the villains will have been released in their SuperFriends look, with the exception of Bizarro, who had more of monstrous physique when he was released (first in the DC Super Heroes line). Any chance we will see Bizarro re-released with a more regular superhero physique? This could also double as a classic Bizarro from the comics.
A “Super Powers” Bizarro has been in and out of the line-up a few times. Only time will tell if we are able to take another shot at him in this design.
3) We’re totally psyched to see Arkham City figures planned from Mattel. We understand that it wasn’t the Four Horsemen who worked on these. Can you share who were the folks who worked on those prototypes? They also look to be bigger than DC Universe Classics – were those in the planned size, or are their still adjustments to the scale planned?
The Arkham City figures were sculpted by our in-house design team headed up by Bill Benecke.
4) You mentioned that the She-Ra re-release will be on a new female buck. What changes are being incorporated in that buck? Do any of the figures revealed (Bikini Teela or Catra) also use that new buck?
It is too early to go into specifics quite yet. You’ll need to wait until SDCC for the full reveal! The Horsemen are looking into fan requests like more articulation, a height adjustment and a maskless head.
5) With Vinz Clortho, all of the major players from the first Ghostbusters movie, except for Dana Barrett and Janine Melnitz, will be on our toy shelves. Can you comment on your rights to Sigourney Weaver’s and Annie Potts’s likenesses, and when we might expect to see them in action figure form?
We have movie #1 rights to both characters but not locked down plans right now for the figures release dates. Clearly these are two characters essential to the line which we would like to get to in time.
Here’s the other Ask Mattel Q&As from around the web (to be updated as they surface):
- Cool Toy Review
- DC Hall of Justice
- Experience the Wonder
- The Fwoosh
- Infinite Hollywood
- Kastor’s Korner
- Kord Industries
- Pendragon’s Post
- Poe Ghostal’s Points of Articulation
- Pop Culture Network
- The Rumor Buster
- Toy News International