The big show hasn’t officially started, but the toy companies are already ahead of the game. With a reveal in USA Today and an item in the full line-up of their Toy Fair press release, DC Collectibles announced they would be turning to one of the most beloved properties in the DC animated universe for a set of new toy lines. Bruce Timm’s Batman: The Animated Series and The New Batman Adventures will be the design source for 6-inch figures. While these will be in an animated style, it looks like DCC will be incorporating more than the 5 points of articulation you might expect.
Limited runs of animated figures are not unprecedented (DCC produced figures for 2007’s Superman / Doomsday animated movie), but with 6 seasons of shows and numerous animated movies, the Timm-verse could provide as deep a character set as DCC’s foray into Blackest Night, for example.
The rest of the Toy Fair line-up stays closer to DC Collectibles’ wheelhouse. There’s more New 52 and Designer Series (this time Greg Capullo) on the way, as well as lines tied to popular DC comic book events, like Infinite Crisis and Son of Batman.
DC COLLECTIBLES UNVEILS NEW BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES AND SON OF BATMAN ACTION FIGURE LINES AHEAD OF NEW YORK TOY FAIR
New Toys and Collectibles Inspired by Broad Range of DC Entertainment Properties Set to Debut in 2014
DC Collectibles, the exclusive line of toy and collector items from DC Entertainment, announced today an exciting 2014 product line-up just in time for New York Toy Fair. DC Collectibles will offer a wide range of new action figures and collector’s items based on DC Comics’ iconic characters and other properties including the highly-anticipated Son of Batman direct-to-video film and Infinite Crisis, the upcoming video game from Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and developed by Turbine. And for the first time ever, new 6” scale action figure lines based on designs from both Batman: The Animated Series and The New Batman Adventures will be released later this year.
“DC Collectibles has an amazing 2014 line-up in store for fans and collectors and we’re psyched to be showcasing our new action figures, statues and more at New York Toy Fair,” said Geoff Johns, chief creative officer of DC Entertainment. “The new slate shows off the team’s commitment to bringing innovative ideas and the highest quality toys and collector’s items to fans worldwide, and as a fan myself I’m particularly excited about the new Batman: The Animated Series and The New Batman Adventures lines.”
Additional new product categories scheduled for 2014 include a “(Bat)man cave” line of high-end lifestyle products, an all new Wood figure line, and porcelain dolls based on a beloved character from Vertigo’s THE SANDMAN series.
Following up with some of their most popular lines comes a second wave of action figures based on art from Greg Capullo, and new additions to both the DC Comics Bombshells and DC Cover Girls statue series. DC Collectibles 2014 line-up includes:
- NEW LINE — Batman: The Animated Series action figure: Catwoman
- NEW LINE — The New Batman Adventures action figures: Batman, Two Face, Mr. Freeze
- NEW LINE — Son of Batman action figures: Deathstroke, Robin, Batman, Nightwing; based on character designs by Phil Bourassa
- NEW LINE — DC Comics “(Bat)man Cave” Super-Villain Poker set with art by Kevin Nowlan, Batman Dart Board set
- NEW LINE — BATMAN LI’L GOTHAM action figures: Harley Quinn, The Joker, Batman, Robin
- NEW LINE — Wood figures 4”: Batman, Superman
- NEW LINE — Porcelain Doll: THE SANDMAN’s Death
- DC Comics The New 52 action figures: Supergirl, Nightwing, Batgirl
- Infinite Crisis 6” action figures: Pajama Party Harley Quinn, Atomic Green Lantern, Atomic Poison Ivy, Mecha Wonder Woman, Renaissance Batman
- DC Comics Cover Girls statues: Katanna, Mera
- Batman Black and White: “Zombie” Batman statue based on artwork by Neal Adams
- Batman Black and White: The Joker statue based on artwork by Dick Sprang
- Batman Black and White: Batman statue based on artwork by Michael Turner
- Superman: The Man of Steel statues: designed by Shane Davis, and one based off Superman The Animated Series
- DC Comics Designer Series: Greg Capullo action figures: Catwoman, Batman Thrasher Armor, Mr. Freeze, Red Hood
- Wonder Woman The Art of War statue based on artwork by Yanick Paquette
- DC Comics Bombshells statue: Zatanna